How Does God View Our Nation?
In Deuteronomy 7 we read where God commanded the Israelites to completely wipe out wicked nations. In verse 2 we read, “and when the LORD your God delivers them over to you, you shall conquer them and utterly destroy them. You shall make no covenant with them nor show mercy to them.”
My question for you to consider is this: If God’s chosen people were about to enter our nation, would He command them to wipe us out?
I know some like to brag and say this country was founded on Christian beliefs by men who believed in God—and there may be some truth in that. But the nation I look around and see today does not even remotely resemble one that was founded on Christian principles.
- We are the largest producer of pornography in the world.
- We have legalized (and some rejoice in) the killing of the unborn.
- We have desecrated God’s institution of marriage and are now arguing over gender fluidity.
- We have legalized the premature deaths of our elderly in many states.
- We celebrate and give out awards to an entertainment industry that is debased.
- We idolize sports and particular teams, while their posters and logos fill our homes.
- We push for the legalization of drugs, while at the same time defund those who seek to uphold the law.
- We gather around television sets with our friends to watch immoral tv programs—and laugh.
- We use cuss words like they are the very breath we breath.
- We seek handouts and entitlements like we are owed something—and then spend it foolishly.
Moses continued in Deuteronomy 7 by saying: “For they will turn your sons away from following Me, to serve other gods; so the anger of the LORD will be aroused against you and destroy you suddenly. But thus you shall deal with them: you shall destroy their altars, and break down their sacred pillars, and cut down their wooden images, and burn their carved images with fire.”
God wanted His people to be holy. He wanted them to destroy any idols that might come between Him and them.
I wonder – would God have the Israelites totally wipe us out if the Exodus were happening today? Are you seeking to be holy and encouraging those around you to put God first?